ILLiad offers the convenient option of having articles delivered to you without ever going to the library or waiting for mail delivery.
Expect electronic articles to be available on your virtual desktop a few days sooner than a paper photocopy would arrive on your real desktop.
Electronic delivery is available for items that are delivered to us electronically from the lending library.
- How do I sign up for electronic delivery?
- How do I know if my computer can receive electronic articles?
- How do I get Adobe Acrobat Reader?
- How do I get my articles when they arrive?
- How do I know which requests will be electronically delivered and which ones will not?
- What if I do not want electronic delivery?
- What if I have questions about electronic delivery?
How do I sign up for electronic delivery?
We presently offer electronic delivery of articles exclusively to all new registrants, as a matter of policy. The default value when you set up your ILLiad account profile will specify electronic delivery only.
How do I know if my computer can receive electronic articles?
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed and configured to work with your Web browser in order to view, download, and print these articles. If you can read the 'Sample Page', then your computer has the necessary software installed to work with your Web browser. However, if your computer tells you the file type is unknown and asks if you want to save the file to disk, then you need to install the Adobe Acrobat Reader software.
How do I get Adobe Acrobat Reader?
Adobe Acrobat Reader is available without charge from Adobe Systems, Inc. Click the "Get Adobe Reader" button to go directly to the download page.
How do I get my articles when they arrive?
- Logon to ILLiad with your Username and Password.
- From the main menu, click the 'Electronically Received Articles' link in the 'View' section of the ILLiad Main Menu. (See 'View Electronically Received Articles' section in the Customer Help page for more detailed information.)
- A list will be displayed containing links (Transaction Number) to all of the items that you currently have waiting to be viewed or downloaded. You will have up to 30 days to retrieve them before they expire.
- Remember to exit by pressing the 'Logoff (your username)' link at the top of the Main Menu when you are finished with your session.
How do I know which requests will be electronically delivered and which ones will not?
ILLiad sends you an e-mail notification for each item received. That e-mail message will include information about the delivery method. In virtually all instances this will indicate electronic delivery.
What if I do not want electronic delivery?
We believe that electronic delivery has many advantages over paper delivery. Reproduced materials can be provided more quickly and efficiently, with less waste of staff time and material resources. They can be delivered, downloaded and viewed, and printed or saved, from virtually any location at any time of day. Quality of reproduction is often of a high standard of resolution, as electronic delivery technology continues to improve. ILL staff are willing, however, to make occasional exceptions (at our discretion on a case-by-case basis), if extraordinary circumstances warrant (such as in instances where high-density image duplication might be required) -- ILL staff should be alerted to this by indicating in the 'Notes' section when submitting an individual request, or by contacting directly by phone or e-mail (see below).
What if I have questions about electronic delivery?
You can e-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at at (216) 368-3517 or (216) 368-3463 (Mon-Fri 9AM-4:30PM).